Wednesday, June 20, 2007

me duela la cabeza

So i´m sitting in the internet cafe, and, now, I have had some constipation for a few days...but...i´'m really not that fat i swear. I broke their chair. I was leaning back...obviously too far and smoked my head and elbow on my fall down. Alcohol was not involved i swear. NOT

So, after the old man acosted us in the park, I told him to VAMOS PORFAVOR, which actually means "we go please"...but i think he got the picture.

I appoligze for the crappy typing and bad spelling but, they keyboard here are in spanish and im super gringo.

My head is throbbing from my embarrasing fall.

Back to the story. So we went to the bus station after lunch at Mi Choza. once at the bus station, we were getting high, and by high I mean low on the diesel fumes from the busses. Costa Ricas presidente annouced in the tico times (think english newspaper for central america) that the country was going to be carbon neutral by 2021. But...judging by the black cloud of smoke trailing behind every bus in costa rica...they have a long way to go. As much as alison and I bitch about air care...thank god we´ve got it.

While waiting for our bus we chatted up the locals...and with my excellent command of the spanish language I managed to tell a local that there are "muchos novios in San ramon" which means "there are many boyfriends in san ramon". I actually meant to say that there are many children in the city...and should have said muchos Niños. Ohh well....so much for trying not to be a gringo...thank god for alisons fantastic command of the local toungue.

The policia pointed with two fingers to their eyes and I couldnt tell if they were telling me to A. Watch for the attractive ticas B. Watch my wallet or C. Wach Alison very closely. I'm hoping its a bit of B and C. but.....we noticed that the policiá were standing really close to us. I think that costa rica really values its tourism industry and the local police hav ebeen instructed to watch us closely and make sure we are OK. Thank god cause I was definately looking over my shoulder.

on to the bus....This was alisons idea. She is always on a budget....Got to love the accountant in her. I would take a taxi...for 60 USD...but...alison says we're going to take the bus for 2.50 each to experience teh "local" culture and save money. i was too paranoid to put our bags in the cago hold of the bus..so the only option was to put them on our laps. Between the two of us we have about 170 litres of backpacks. This is easily 4 small children or one rosie odonnell on your lap. Alsion didnt mind much because her pack only makes up about 70 of the litres but....I was muy incomodo. Ohh well....an 3 hour steaming hot...sweat incrusted adventure.


Did i mention that the locals loaded up two crates of chics under the bus. How we live in a different world back home.


We arrived in La Fortuna and walked around...there are more tour operators than insects in this town and as soon as you get off the bus...you are surrounded by "friends" who are eager to help you find a place that will offer them the greatest commission.

We decided to say at the Lonly Planet recommended Five star hostel called Arenal Backpackers Resort. Sounds nice...but...has that My dad is a wealthy american bussiness man and I am hear to tease the locals with my american booty that isnt so hot....But i think im hot vibe. We didnt jive very well here and although the¡y had nice hammocks and a pool we moved on to cheaper accomodations the next day.

Were now at La Choza Inn, which is 20USD cheaper per night, and the mangement doesnt have the lobotomized...we are staff attitude. Seems like a nice tico family is runing the place and they trust us with the AC controls. How nice it is to be treated like a human.

We went to Las Cataratas....aka the 70 metre waterfall in the jungle. After paying our $7 admission fee each we trucked down the trail to be greated by some beautiful blue water and many fish. The paradise was interrupted by a thunderous boom and instantly from tropical paradise to the most intense vancouver downpour you can recollect. Thank god for goretex and pack covers....we recieved the comment that we were the best dressed for the elements.

Back to town we enjoyed a nice nap and went into town for some eats. As I was commenting on how I didnt think we would get a chance to see the volcano we by happenstance looked up only to see the rather shy v0lcan arenal not shrouded in cloud cover but, in fact, looking just like that volcano i made for 2nd grade science fair. Alison...did you ever make one of those ginger ale and baking sode and red food coloring volcanos?

The sunset over the volcano and jungle was truely worth a million dollars. If there is one thing í'll remember beside this amazing vista it is that I will remember how alison went to pick up the laundry with our key in her purse as I sprinted to the hotel to get the camera....about 100metres from the hotel...my key problems dawned on me and I had to sprint back across town to get the key....However...although I can run fairly fast....we missed that golden window and we will hope we get the same tommorow night.

No comments: